This morning another perfectly enjoyable class, taking us up to the Act of Union. After class, we went into the city to meet Martin for a tour of the national museum. The bus took a little longer than usual because the traffic had to be diverted due to a fair number of fire trucks, ambulances, and police surrounded by a sizable crowd of people. I first thought it was a possible bomb threat (pretty common in the US to find "suspicious packages" abandoned that the police need to check out). Turns out there was a man on top of the bank building, supposedly preparing to jump.
We left from our meeting place at Trinity to the museum, next to the Parliament building. The museum was very nice, it was good having Martin there to give context to things. I don't know if I've ever been in a museum with artifacts that were as old as that (living in America, it's such a relatively young country), so I was very impressed by the notion that "this object was around way back then. When all that history was being made, there are no people left from that time. But this object was actually *there*". It was pretty cool. I honestly would have liked to stay around a little bit, but everyone was heading off. I decided to go with Margaux, Dakota, and Emily to a pastry shop Dakota saw (even though I didn't really want pastries again) and talked for about an hour. Then we made our way back, even though I would have preferred to stay in the city for just a bit and enjoy the good weather in the park with ice cream.
When we got back I booked my hostel for Galway. It was a hard decision spending that money, but I really wanna see the Cliffs of Moher and I don't want to wait and go on the tour from Dublin with Ben and Natalie and everyone else because you end up spending twice as much time on the bus, even if it is 20 euro cheaper that way, you're wasting a whole day where as if we go from Galway, its about half that time. I was suppose to go to the park to enjoy the weather, but I ended up Skyping/Facebook messaging with Rebecka and then wound up watching a body image video Katie had posted on Sarah Anne's wall maybe a week ago. Long story short, this woman started a positive body image movement and got to see people really changed by it, and it just made me cry.
I became very aware that this- this thing I'm doing right now: going to see the Cliffs of Moher and going to freakin PARIS to see things I never thought I would- are things that were just dreams not so long ago. They were things I barely dared to even hope to ever do because of the mere far fetched-ness and near impossibility of them. And now I'm doing them. That's so special, and makes me really want to enjoy this moment. Everyone tells you to "dream big" and "anything is possible" and "you can make a difference", but we don't really believe that. But we should! There are at least 7 things just since coming to college that I thought I would never accomplish, actually defined as too impossible for me to get my hopes up for. And they happened. That's so crazy that I'm getting to do all the things I always wanted to do but never thought I could. It just opens my eyes and gets me excited about all the possibilities I have in this world, and I feel truly blessed and just want to savor and reap all those possibilities. There's so much amazing stuff out there and I really *can* have it! And I think that's pretty cool.
Watched the US/Belgium game at nuBar. No food, bad seats, cool atmosphere, but came home after 2 hours to pack, shower, and get to sleep early. It's already after midnight and I haven't done any of those things, so there's that :P
No comments:
Post a Comment