My flight from Denver to O'Hare was largely uneventful. I arrived in Chicago with some trepidation as to where to go and what to do, but I found food and Maggie alright, passed 2 wonderful hours eating bagels and catching up with her, then back through security.
It was waiting at my Dublin gate that the fear set it. I realized that some of the people around me were Irish. I called Mom and Grandma and read Mom's note and almost cried. Then I went and spent $8 on crappy Chicago pizza as everyone watched the world cup at the sports bar.
Boarding: it was a very large plane, I hadn't been on one of these in many years. I ate dinner and American Hustle started playing. It ended, I slept. I woke up several times, annoyed. By the last time I woke up it was light and I had breakfast. Then got off the plane, my last little slice of America. The airport was small, signs distinctive, and crowd easy to follow. I was shocked at how calm I was, how non-culture shocked I was. It was all very similar.
Customs/baggage/finding CIEE was a breeze. 5 students already there playing cards. Sara Teesdale arrived and I liked her instantly. Everyone was awkwardly silent and didn't seem like they wanted to be here. The drive was very disheartening. I didn't want to be here at all. Arrived at DCU, no rooms, short tour, break off with Kelly, Teesdale, Dakota, Erin to buy lunch at Spare (Snapple-first purchase). We eat outside and walk around the beautifully green nearby park.
Real tour now, walk to OMNI. Hang with Emily and Erin in grocery store. Walk back. Feet hurt, but go out that night anyway. Irish teenage girls fascinated by us on the bus. Dinner at one pub (goat cheese salad), then follow Foster as we walk around a lot up Grafton and through the park, stop in another pub for Guinness, listen to band for an hour. They play American music like Wagon Wheel. Take picture on bridge, back to home. Skype Mom and Beck, write this blog post. Will edit later. Should be in bed. This seems fun, but maybe too easy still. The people are great, I'm glad I found them. But I still don't know what this adventure will bring.
No comments:
Post a Comment